Settling in Miami - random thoughts

I wrote a long blah blah blah post about the craziness that has been this move, but really, who cares? No one has time for that. Here's the things on my mind now.

1) I bought a rug from Craigslist today and made a friend. Kitchen table soon to follow, I hope. I like the looking but not the actual purchasing/haggling/transporting.
2) Clark and I should both have married people who like getting stuff done. We are not those people. Also, we should have married people who like being in new situations. Uh-oh.
2a) I wonder how long we can live with boxes in the living room?
2b) I hope I can find the baggie of bookshelf pegs or we are all in trouble.
3) Miami is humid. This bears remembering.
4) Violet LOVES Lady Gaga. She recognized a song on the radio today and, when it was over, spent the rest of the drive saying "want Gaga!" This might not be the greatest parenting.
5) What do other people do with their stuff? Not books and clothes and things that are easy to organize, but random papers and chargers and electronics and pens? I can never find good places for these things.
6) After spending ~$1200 on a new head gasket that blew during the move, why does my car still hate starting in the heat? Because, let's face it, heat is what you're going to get, Sentra. (It always starts on the second try with no problem, so I'm not that worried. But still.)
7) I am excited for the internet guy to come so we can stop stealing wireless. Although, stolen internet has the advantage of being cheaper.
8) Clark wants to put Violet in preschool. No way am I ready for that yet.
9) One of Violet's nursery leaders at church is a sign language interpreter. When Violet started freaking out a little bit on Sunday (fourth different nursery in five weeks for the poor girl), she calmed down instantly when Stacia started signing to her. I couldn't be happier.
10) The movers' list says they lost a box, but our list has all boxes accounted for. I'm confused.
11) I have a dishwasher. But no garbage disposal. Wha????
12) When we turn down our new street, Violet says "home!" She never did that before.

6 comments:

Kirsten Treff said...
September 8, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Nice to hear life goes on... hopefully things'll get organized soon. I also made a friend on craigslist... it's nice when they turn out to not be murderers, as I always anticipate!

Sarah said...
September 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM

lol, what Kirsten said, because who doesn't anticipate that?

anyways, glad to hear your move went "well" as in, you're still alive!
ours went okay, and I'm feeling pretty good about where everything is now.
take pics of your new place so we can all see!
i miss baby violet! and barging in on you guys during odd hours of the day and night.
good luck with everything and hopefully you can get the strength to do something!! I'm not looking forward to the big move after Shane graduates!!!

Unknown said...
September 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM

As long as Violet feels at home, everything will be okay.

Anonymous said...
September 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Great post Lily. By the way, you can live with boxes in the front room for a LONG time. I know.

JB from the old ward

Sarah Ridge said...
September 16, 2010 at 2:04 PM

If you figure out what to do with all the random stuff, let me know!

And also, the "getting stuff done" and "likes new situations" concerns? I hear that.

Good luck to you guys... Emily says it took her a year to admit that she was living in Iowa. I think it's going to take us longer than that.

Deborah said...
September 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Re 2a: you're there for 2 years, right? So that's how long you can live with boxes in this particular living room before moving said boxes to your next living room. :) Glad you're getting settled.

Back to Home Back to Top So you started a blog. Really.. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.