Buried under baby gear

So, I decided a responsible thing to do would be to start planning for all the STUFF that we need for the baby. I've been making lists, reading Consumer Reports and trying to not be overwhelmed by the vastness of the selection. I don't understand how people choose nursery themes, or colors, or furniture, or anything. Maybe it's because we don't actually have a nursery yet, so it's a little hard for me to picture. It's not that I'm planning on buying a 5-piece matching set of nursery furniture, but I feel that if I'm going to get all this STUFF for the baby it would be nice if it semi-coordinated but didn't cost a billion dollars and also isn't full of lead paint and asbestos and death traps. So here's my question for those of you with children: what couldn't you have lived without when having babies? And what was a total waste of money/time? Any recommendations for brand/model/color/features?

On a semi-related note, my new favorite thing in the world is maternity pants. Everyone should wear these, all the time. Anything with an elastic waistband is a winner in my book. I don't ever want to go back to regular jeans again!

3 comments:

Crystal said...
September 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM

What I loved:
Exersaucer: as soon as the baby can hold their head up they lvoe this thing and will spend time in it for the next three to four months. After that though, they've outgrown it. So find a good one (brand doesn't matter) second-hand. They're pretty expensive.
Bouncy Chair: great to stick the baby in and keep them in one place. When I saw Alaina crawling around with the bouncy chair attached to her back, I knew it was time to move on. Style & brand don't matter. Also great for them to sit in while watching Baby Einstein videos.
Swing: I've heard some babies don't like swings. Bryn sat in hers all day every day for about 5 months while I was dealing wwith Claire's allergies. Love the swing.
Stroller/Car seat combo: the most expensive thing new parents need to buy. Besides furniture, I guess, we never bought new furniture. This is a must. The car seat must come out of the car easily and snap into the stroller effortlessly without waking sleeping baby. This one deserves research and asking around. Things have probably changed since we had one, but we used the same one for all three girls so it was worth it.
Diaper changer table: So funny, with Alaina I took her to the diaper changer table EVERY TIME to change her diaper. Baby blankets, diapers, creme, wipes, etc were all organized underneath so that's where we went. With the other two, I changed them wherever and only used the table for storage. Your call.
Diaper stacker: never used it.
Side sleeper: if you are a nervous parent (Lilly, I have a strange idea you might be) you need this. Keeps the little tiny one from rolling around before she really should and keeps her on her back or side for sleeping. You don't want to lay awake all night wondering if she is drowning in her own slobber. I had a nice one with a soft cushy head thingy.
That's all I can think of for now.

Anonymous said...
September 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM

If you are reading about baby stuff through Consumer Reports, you will notice that they mention NEVER to buy used baby products (whether a crib, bouncer, changing table, etc) because they are always being updated and due to ALL the recalls it's best to buy new. I totally agree! I did not want Taryn using anyone else's stuff, especially if they use the word 'borrow'. Instead of worrying about used baby products, I just put those fear to rest by buying new. Plus, you'll need it for the next baby, so why not get the best stuff to start off with (most likely you will get everything at your baby shower - making other people pay for the good stuff!).

Some things to keep in mind when registering/buying baby stuff...make sure it's JPMA certified. Not all brands are! Check out the site: http://www.jpma.org/

Anyway, onto the things I think were a great buy or must have...
Pack N Play - Instead of purchasing a bassinet AND crib, we decided to get the Pack N Play and use the bassinet part for Taryn for the first few months. We will take out the bassinet part when she gets too big and use the Pack N Play as intended. It's a two for one deal and they only cost like $60.

Boppy w/ several covers - This is great for nursing. Taryn still sleeps in hers (although the tag has a huge 'X' through the word sleep). You'll need several covers b/c the baby will most likely spit up on it.

Diaper Genie - Taryn's room never smells of dirty diapers. It's fast and easy to use and totally worth the $25.

Compact tub - Since our place is so small, we got a tub that folds up nicely and can be stored anywhere.

Medela Sterilizing Bags - These are awesome! They are bags you put in the microwave filled with baby stuff (like pacifiers, bottles, etc) and you nuke it for 5 minutes and the bags can be used up to 20 times. These are great since you won't have to sterilize everything in a boiling pot of water...and forget about it, causing the stuff to burn and almost causing a fire! Ahh!

Things not to buy (at least not at first)...
Swing and/or bouncer - Taryn hates both of these things and they lay around our condo taking up space. I would definitely take a test run in someone else's once the baby is born.

That's all I can think of now.

Carl and Amber said...
September 30, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Instead of an exersaucer, I would recommend the walker (if you don't have stairs in your apt.) They come with toys to keep the kid entertained, plus they can keep themselves entertained by moving around, but yet they can't really get into anything. I only paid $20 at Babies R Us for mine. I am totally fine with buying used. Here in So. Cal we have an absolutely amazing Craigslist!! I am not kidding. You can get incredibly high end things for the same cost as new at Target for a much lower quality. Cribs, clothes, and strollers are absolutley amazing deals. Instead of a bathtub, I had a foam mat that I got at target. I set it on the counter with a travel changing pad over it during the day, and then I bathed the baby at night, and it dried through the night. Babytubs are things that you really only use for a short time, yet they are big. I loved my baby carrier. I used it the most with #2. I wasn't too fond of the Bjorn. I just thought that it was an irritance to have to go and grab it and put it around me. I didn't have the patience. I prefer to just stick the kid on. If you back hurts, use a random pillow, it is much quicker. I loved my breast pump. Just about any pump will do for relieving the initial fullness. But if you plan on pumping for anything else, do not get a manual pump! Both Camille and me have a good electric Ameda pump. If you plan to pump, it is worth it. I got mine on Ebay for $75. (The cheapest electric one at target at the time was $60, and that was a cheap one.) #1 baby liked the swing better, but #2 definitely liked the bouncer better. I love the vibrating bouncer because it is so much smaller and easy to take anywhere. I could do without the playmats that have toys hanging above. The baby really needs to be on their stomach, so a blanket with some toys will work. Plus, they have shown that babies that get a lot of tummy time also develop their motor skills a lot faster. I couldn't do without Saline and a good bulb syringe for sucking their noses. Don't leave the hospital without getting one from them. The ones at the store don't compare! I also couldn't live without a pacifier! I like the long ones bc they are easy for the baby to keep in the mouth. Last thing, I promise...forget about a high chair, just buy the little seats that attach to your table or chair. They are so much smaller, cheaper, portable, and they do the job just as well. That's about it!

Back to Home Back to Top So you started a blog. Really.. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.